Friday, September 2, 2011

Poor Kitty!

So, many of you know that we are cat people. When we see kittens while we are out-and-about, we almost always have to resist the temptation to pick them up and take them home. However, Nate was at the Ogden farmer's market and found this cute little guy. I wasn't there, but he sent me a few hundred texts, and a couple pictures and I was weak in the knees. He is SO ADORABLE...isn't he?? So Nate adopted him. Brooklyn named him Vader, and he is the sweetest thing ever.

At night, we keep the kitten in the downstairs bathroom, because he is too playful, and attacks our feet at night while we are sleeping! The other morning, (sniffle), Brooklyn woke up before anyone else and went downstairs to play with Vader, which he often does. Nothing really unusual. BUT... Brooklyn had just gotten his own fingerpaints and we had painted a bunch of pictures the night before. Sadly, he saw my box of fingernail polish in the bathroom where we keep the kitten, and yep. You know what happened. He "fingerpainted" the bathroom with 5 bottles of polish. (sniff sniff :( sniff.) And, he got it all over his hands. The kitty kept trying to run away, and so Brooklyn kept grabbing him, with nail polish-ie hands. And the kitty ended up looking like this...


It might not look too bad, but believe me, It was AWFUL! By the time Nate found him like this, the nail polish was almost dry. The kitty's ears and fur were completely stiff, and his whiskers were glued to his face in most spots. Nate didn't have time to clean him completely before he went to work, so when I came home from work that morning at about 8:30, I got to deal with it. Brooklyn's color palette consisted of pink, black, tan, silver glitter, and Sally Hansen's Hard as nails top coat. It was the saddest thing ever. I cried for the next 3 hours. Seriously. His toes were stuck together, He had cat litter stuck to the nail polish on his butt, and his eyes were getting stuck shut.


Anyway, I waited until the polish was a little more dry, called the vet for advice, and bathed him. The nail polish smell was overwhelming!) Then I cut off all his lovely kitten fuzz. (sniffle!) In some spots, the nail polish has dried to his skin, so I couldn't cut those off. After I cut the fur, I shaved the poor kitten with an electric shaver. He now is the most pittiful looking creature. So..so..sad. I couldn't shave his head, so it is just a mass of crustiness. I said to Brooklyn "WHAT WERE YOU THINKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" He said that he was trying to paint a picture, but he didn't have any paper.




We had a LONG talk with Brooklyn about this. Don't worry. He loves his kitty, and we all learned a lesson! He loves his little Vader! Even though he looks like a crusty rat. He is still the sweetest thing on the planet.



2 comments:

  1. Although that is really sad for the kitty I am cracking up! Now I need a pic of the bathroom..I feel scared...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Sherri, that is so sad but so funny. Evan also has a kitty best friend named fuz. That cat puts up with so much abuse. Crazy boys egh?

    ReplyDelete